Find cheap AVE train tickets with Omio
Omio is an online platform that gives you a fast and convenient way of booking tickets for your next train journey. The Omio journey planner app is easy to use. Pick your dates and select the train journey that best meets your needs. Booking cheap AVE tickets has never been easier, and our help center is available 24/7 for those with questions regarding AVE Renfe trains.
- Book cheap AVE trains from Madrid to Granada from the comfort of your home.
- Access our 24/7 help center in your language.
- Check out Window Seat for some inspiration on your next destination.
- Download the Omio app to know how long the AVE train ride from Madrid to Barcelona is.
AVE trains are operated by the Spanish national rail company Renfe. AVE Renfe trains use high-speed routes to connect major Spanish cities. They are used on most services between Spain and France, and AVE Spanish trains operate on many routes from the Spanish capital, connecting Madrid to Barcelona, Seville, Alicante, Leon, and many more. AVE Spain trains are high-speed, running at up to 190 mph (310km/h). Traveling with AVE is a good idea since they are comfortable and offer many onboard amenities. You can book AVE trains up to 90 days in advance.
AVE train: Type of tickets
AVE trains offer three types of tickets: Basico, Elige, and Premium. Here is how each ticket works.
- Basico:These AVE train tickets are the equivalent of standard class. Basico tickets are the cheapest. Basico tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged, and you won’t be able to select your seat, though this option is available for an additional cost.
- Elige:Elige tickets offer more flexibility for exchanges and cancellations. With Elige tickets, you can change trains, cancel, and if you miss your train, you’ll get the next one at a discounted price. Seat selection is also an option for an additional cost, and you can also upgrade to Premium.
- Premium:Premium Renfe AVE tickets are the most expensive and offer the most flexibility. They only apply exclusively to Confort. Changing to a different train is free, and if you miss your train, you can catch the next train for free.
Cibeles fountain in Madrid. Source: Shutterstock
AVE Spain train: Discounts and special offers
AVE trains are a popular choice for traveling around Spain by rail. The trains are comfortable, feature modern amenities, and provide easy connections between major Spanish cities. Here are some discounts you can enjoy when you buy your AVE Renfe train ticket with Omio.
- Children discount:Student Beans and Omio have partnered to offer students a 5% student discount on travel via AVE Spanish trains. Just enter the unique code at checkout on Omio to enjoy your discount.
- Children discount:Children below 14 can travel on AVE trains with a 40% discount on any available price, with their own child ticket and seat. Children below three years not occupying a seat travel for free.
- Young persons discount:Young travelers between 14 and 25 with the Tarjeta +Renfe Joven card can enjoy huge discounts on AVE trains. Enjoy up to a 30% discount when you purchase your train tickets via Omio.
- Over 60s discount:Passengers 60 years or older are eligible for discounts on AVE trains. With a Tarjeta Dorada card, you can enjoy up to a 25% discount on AVE trains.
- Group discount:If you’re traveling in a group of between four and nine people, you are eligible for discounts on AVE tickets. Enjoy an 8% discount on the trip’s total price when you purchase your ticket via Omio.
Most popular routes with AVE
AVE trains are the high-speed carriers for Spain’s national railway company, Renfe. The AVE network covers much of eastern, central, and southern Spain, connecting travelers to major cities throughout Spain. AVE high-speed trains are available from Madrid to Barcelona, Madrid to Seville, and Madrid to Valencia, some of the most popular routes. Their services also extend to other cities like Zaragoza, Granada, Alicante, and Malaga. Their trains are comfortable and offer many services on board, including free Wi-Fi and power outlets. You can easily check the AVE train schedule on Omio.
AVE trains from Madrid to Valencia
This is one of the most popular journeys in Spain. The AVE train from Madrid to Valencia wriggles through the mountainous countryside, descending from almost 700m above sea level into Valecia on the Mediterrenean coast.
- About 10 AVE trains are available from Madrid to Valencia every day.
- The trains are available from 6:00 a.m. to around 9:00 p.m., and most of the trains offer direct services.
- The fastest Madrid Valencia Ave Renfe train takes about 1h 40min to arrive at the destination.
- Madrid-Valencia AVE trains are available from Madrid-Puerta de Atocha and head into Valencia Joaquín Sorolla.
Plaza España square in Barcelona. Source: Shutterstock
AVE Renfe train from Seville to Madrid
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey on the AVE trains from Seville to Madrid. Trains from Seville to Madrid go through around 242 miles (390 km) of track, but with AVE, you'll be there in less than 3h.
- Around eight AVE trains depart Seville for Madrid every day.
- The trains are available from early morning, around 7:00 a.m. to around 8:30 p.m.
- AVE Seville Madrid trains offer direct services, and the fastest Seville to Madrid train time is around 2h 32min.
- Download the Omio app to view the AVE train schedule Seville to Madrid.
- The trains are available from Sevilla-Santa Justa to Madrid-Puerta de Atocha.
AVE Renfe train from Madrid to Barcelona
Whether you're visiting Barcelona for a match at Camp Nou, or you're visiting for a walk across La Rambla, this is the train for you. And now you can take one of the three Renfe Ave trains, including the OUIGO and Avlo trains.
- Renfe AVE has at least eight trains operating between Madrid and Barcelona every day.
- The trains offer direct services and are available from around 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- The fastest AVE Madrid Barcelona Renfe train takes around 2h 50min, and leaves from Madrid-Puerta de Atocha heading into Barcelona Sants.
Services on board AVE Spanish trains
The following are the services offered on board AVE trains:
- AVE trains offer first-class and standard class tickets.
- Free Wi-Fi is available in all classes.
- Power outlets and at-seat radios are also provided for every passenger.
- Each passenger is allowed up to three pieces of luggage on AVE Renfe trains, but the combined weight mustn’t exceed 55 lbs. (25 kg).
- Bicycles are allowed on board for free but must be folded/disassembled and packed in a bike bag.
- Pets under 22 lbs. (10 kg) are welcome on board, but they must travel in a pet carrier.
- Passengers with reduced mobility get on-train assistance and seat reservation for free on AVE trains. Find out more about accessible travel on Window Seat.
- AVE trains have a buffet car or café that serves food and drinks and is accessible to all passengers.
AVE: Night trains
Traveling at night can be a great experience. If you’re on a tight schedule or budget, it saves you from spending the night at a hotel and gets you to your destination in great time. There are a couple of AVE night trains operating on various routes. However, with AVE being a high-speed train, most of these journeys take under 4 hours and can still be made during the day.
Sustainability travel with AVE
AVE trains are operated by Renfe, the Spanish national railway company. Renfe operates electric trains with zero emissions. Moreover, the electricity is sourced from renewable sources, meaning traveling by train is the most sustainable way. AVE train tickets can also be purchased electronically using the Omio app. Not only does this save the trees, but it also saves the environment from additional waste paper. These tickets also contain information on your journey’s carbon footprint and how much you’ve reduced it compared to making the same journey by bus or flight. Check out this article for more information on traveling sustainably.
Visit Spain with AVE trains – Travel Tips
Spain is a great destination with something for every traveler. There’s a great mix of cultural attractions in Spain. From the monuments left by the Romans to the white villages of Andalucía to the medieval castles of inland Spain to the vibrant Madrid and Barcelona, a fast AVE train will get you there. The landscapes vary widely too, from deserts in Almeria to the mountains of Sierra Nevada and then there are the glittering beaches of the Spanish coast. If you’re looking for a reason to visit Spain, here’s a city guide to Madrid to get you started. Must-visit sights in Spain:
- Barcelona's Sagrada Familia
- The Great Mosque of Cordoba
- Santiago de Compostela Cathedral
- Beaches of Gran Canaria
Las Setas or the metropol parasol building in Seville. Source: Shutterstock
Buy cheap AVE train tickets on the Omio app or website from the comfort of your home.
No. Most AVE tickets bought via Omio are digital and don’t need to be printed since they can be viewed from the app. You can also get your e-ticket via email.
Yes. However, there’s always a fee associated with canceling train tickets. However, if you have a Premium ticket, the cancelation fee is only 5% of the original price.
You can bring up to three pieces of luggage on AVE trains. However, their combined weight shouldn’t exceed 55 lbs. (25 kg).
Passengers with reduced mobility get in-train assistance and seat reservations for free on AVE trains.
AVE trains are wheelchair-accessible. They offer accessible seating options and electric wheelchair ramps for easy access to the trains.
Children older than 14 can travel alone on AVE trains. Kids between 4 and 13 will need to use the AVE kid’s service to travel unaccompanied.
Suitcases, handbags, laptop bags, rucksacks, and similar are allowed on AVE trains. Baby seats and strollers need to be folded before traveling on AVE trains. Musical instruments in their cases and folded bikes in bike bags are also allowed on board.
Yes. However, the conditions will depend on the type of ticket. Passengers with premium tickets can change their tickets for free; other tickets usually have a fee for changing.
For the cheapest AVE train tickets:
- Book in advance
- Choose the slower journeys
- Be flexible with your travel dates
Yes. Pets under 22 lbs. (10 kg) are allowed on AVE trains. Pets should remain in their carrier when on the train, and passengers with Basico tickets aren’t allowed pets on board.
Yes. Bikes travel for free on AVE trains. All you need to do is disassemble it and carry it in a bike bag.